FORREC Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Hybrid)
FORREC is an experience design company that has created some of the world’s most successful leisure and entertainment destinations. Creativity and innovation are at the heart of who we are; it’s not just what we do, it’s part of our identity. This belief applies to every single person at FORREC, and to every service we provide and how we provide it. The people who work at FORREC are as diverse as our projects. Our team members come from many disciplines, cultures and perspectives, which allows us to be spirited, dynamic, sociable, and fearless.
This full time Senior Architect / Designer reports to the Director and Assistant Director(s) of Studio-A (Architecture Studio) to develop project work led by Project Managers/Sector Directors within the larger office. The role includes the generation of architectural project assignments, by creatively developing and communicating design concepts through a collaborative process with FORREC’s five Studio disciplines.
As a Senior Architect / Designer, it is important to maintain and meet project expectations internally (e.g., FORREC Management) as well as externally (e.g., Clients and Consultants), while ensuring design work within project scope meets the required schedule and budget. With experience in design and construction as well as management, the Senior Architect / Designer is a nimble and adaptive position that also encourages innovation and quality.
The Senior Architect / Designer is also a key leadership role within the culture of Studio-A as it openly involves sharing of knowledge and advancing skills of the team. As a resource, responsibilities include overseeing and/or assisting the work of junior and intermediate staff on specific projects to aide in their professional development.
- Master of Architecture degree or equivalent.
- Licensed member of the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) ARCHITECT / DESIGNER
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or equivalent.
- 10+ years of related professional experience in the Architectural profession.
- Autodesk Certified User (ACU) Revit Certification or equivalent is an asset.
- Experience using Revit in a Cloud-Shared Environment within project phases.
- Effectively manages assigned projects from early conceptual stages through to final completion as an architectural lead and/or project team member.
- Works closely with Project Directors/Managers and other internal team members to meet overall project objectives.
- Generates and leads design concepts through effective graphic and verbal communication techniques to delegate and collaborate project deliverables.
- Depending upon the size and scope of each project, renders conceptual design ideas and prepares 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings independently and oversees the work of others to meet quality standards.
- Manages and coordinates the work of Junior and Intermediate staff on various projects to ensure that all project work is delivered on time and on budget for agreed upon deliverables.
- Creates technical CAD/Revit files to support the project team and deliverables as needed. The successful candidate will need to manage, follow or implement BIM Collaborative workflows following international and in-house standards.
- Prepares, reviews, corrects, and updates documents during all phases of work, with specific experience in construction documentation, bid tender, contract administration, and commissioning phases.
- Capable of acting as a liaison with clients and consultants on assigned projects to meet their architectural design needs and document coordination requirements while maintaining project budget and quality standards.
- Manages client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination confidently, as well as collaborative coordination with internal studio departments such as landscape architecture, interiors, graphics, project management, and creative for all assigned projects.
- Provides architectural mentoring and guidance for junior and intermediate staff for all phases of work, ranging from concept design to construction and commissioning as required.
- Enthusiastically participates and contributes to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs to further professional development of self and junior staff.
- Participates and presents training/professional development opportunities in-house for architecture staff and others in the form of monthly huddles, software introductions and/or general design discourse discussions.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm to work collaboratively in a team environment, lead when assigned, and welcomes providing effective mentorship to staff.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate design ideas and direction quickly via freehand sketching, written descriptions, and/or 3D modelling to collaborate and delegate project deliverables.
- Proficient technical skills and experience in preparing technical working drawings within multiple phases of an architectural practice. Building Permits, Site Plan Approval, Community Engagement, Building Code, and Accessible Design expertise are an asset.
- Demonstrates expertise within the principles of construction and experience working with a variety of consultants to innovate and develop challenging concepts into workable designs.
- Confidence in requesting internal advice and consult from Senior Architectural staff to work through and resolve challenging designs, details and coordination as a team.
- Firm understanding and experience of space planning principles, particularly in hospitality and retail within the Middle East and North America is an asset.
- Experience working with Revit in a cloud-shared environment is required. Candidates may be asked to complete a FORREC administered Revit Competency test to support the interview process.
- Proficiency in the architectural design and technical software skills including:
- Proficiency in REVIT + Cloud-Shared platforms
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Proficiency in file management
- Proficiency in SketchUp
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, & Illustrator
- Proficiency using render engines (e.g., Enscape, Lumion, or Vray) is an asset.
- Working knowledge and/or interest in other BIM and 3D modelling software and tools (e.g. Formit, Navisworks, Dynamo, Rhino and/or Grasshopper) is an asset
- Flexibility and openness to focus on a single client with a variety of project types and if required, to contribute to multiple concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- Sound understanding of and interest in ‘experiential design’ industry precedents and developing trends, etc.
- Confidence with Client and consultant relationship building and maintenance, particularly formal presentation abilities and international communications is an asset.
Why Choose FORREC?
- A vibrant, creative space in the design hub of Liberty Village.
- A hybrid work environment.
- A culturally and creatively diverse group of people who weave fun into their work every day.
- Varied social events led by our social committee.
- Flexible hours.
- Comprehensive benefits plan.
- Company matching group retirement savings plan.
- Public transit at the door.
Please submit your resume and portfolio by June 23rd, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
FORREC is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization, we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.