This full-time Intermediate Architect reports to the Director and Assistant Director(s) of Studio-A to develop project work led by Project Managers/Sector Directors within the larger office. The role includes the generation of architectural project assignments, by creatively developing and communicating design concepts through a collaborative process with FORREC’s five Studio disciplines.
With design and construction experience, the Intermediate Architect is nimble and capable of developing innovative quality projects within the team culture of Studio-A. Working closely with Senior Designers/Architects and Design Managers, the Intermediate Architect position is an adaptive opportunity to learn and grow professionally within the immersive experiential and location-based entertainment design industry.
The first assignment related to this role will be as an on-site Architect working closely with a Senior Design Manager based in Orlando, Florida. The role will be responsible for construction administration in the City of Orlando for 12-18 months and in coordination with the FORREC project team located in Toronto. The assignment will require full-time, on-site presence at the construction site to document construction activities and work with the Owner and Contractor to solve potential coordination issues in the field. A field office will be established for this assignment.
The Architect is required to be familiar and aware of local code regulations within Orange County, and the state of Florida.
Upon completion of this assignment the role will transition to a virtual office setting working on future architectural design projects in the entertainment industry, many in partnership with our Toronto office
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent.
- Licensed Architect
- 5-8 years of related professional experience in the Architectural profession.
- Experience in Revit and BIM 360 within multiple project phases.
- Experience with construction observation and administration of large/complex projects.
- Responsible for being the on-site Architect performing construction administration in the City of Orlando for 12-18 months.
- Required to be familiar and aware of local code regulations within Orange County, and the state of Florida.
- Coordination with on-site contractors, the Client team, the consultant team, and the FORREC project team.
- Works closely with Project Directors/Managers and other internal team members to meet overall project objectives.
- Generates design concepts and drawings through effective graphic and verbal communication techniques.
- Depending upon the size and scope of each project, renders conceptual design ideas and prepares 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings independently as well with senior design directions.
- Manages and coordinates the work of Junior staff on various projects to ensure that all project work is delivered on time and on budget for agreed upon deliverables.
- Creates technical CAD/Revit files to assist junior staff and the project team as needed.
- Prepares, reviews, corrects, and updates documents during schematic design and design development phases.
- Capable of acting as a liaison directly with clients and consultants on assigned projects to meet their architectural design needs and document coordination.
- Manages client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination as well as coordination with internal studio departments including landscape architecture, interiors, graphics, project management, and creative for all assigned projects.
- Enthusiastically participates and contributes to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs to further personal professional development and contribute to the development of more junior architecture staff.
- Participates and presents training/professional development opportunities in-house for architecture staff and others in the form of monthly huddles, software introductions and/or general design discourse discussions.
- Demonstrates familiarity and expertise in design and construction specifically in Hospitality, Retail, Commercial and Mixed-Use program types.
- Written and verbal communication is vital
- Firm understanding of space planning principles, particularly in hospitality and retail.
- Sound understanding of and interest in industry precedents and developing trends, etc.
- Demonstrates familiarity with Concept, Schematic Design and Design Development phases of architectural design and practice.
- Proficiency in the architectural design and technical software skills including:
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Proficiency in REVIT
- Proficiency in SketchUp
- Proficiency in BIM 360
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Proficiency in file management
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, & Illustrator graphic software
- Working knowledge and/or interest in other BIM and 3D modelling software and tools
- Excellent graphic and oral presentation skills.
- Flexibility to focus on a single client with a variety of project types and manage multiple, concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- Demonstrates client and consultant facing ability to communicate design ideas and direction quickly via freehand sketching, written descriptions and/or 3D modelling.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and lead when assigned.
- Demonstrates technical skills including familiarity and experience in preparing technical working drawings (plans, sections, elevations, wall sections & construction details).
- Demonstrates familiarity with construction realities and experience working with a variety of consultants to innovate and develop designs.
- Enthusiasm and interest in learning from and welcoming mentorship from Senior staff.
Why Choose FORREC?
- A vibrant, creative space in the design hub of Liberty Village.
- A culturally and creatively diverse group of people who weave fun into their work every day.
- Varied social events led by our social committee.
- Flexible hours.
- Great benefits.
- Company matching group retirement savings plan.
Please submit your application by Sept. 2, 2022. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
FORREC is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.
FORREC is an experienced design company that has created some of the world’s most successful leisure and entertainment destinations. Creativity and innovation are at the heart of who we are; it’s not just what we do, it’s part of our identity. This belief applies to every single person at FORREC, and to every service we provide and how we provide it. The people who work at FORREC are as diverse as our projects. Our team members come from many disciplines, cultures, and perspectives, which allows us to be spirited, dynamic, sociable, and fearless.