The Intermediate Designer will develop project work with members of the Architecture Studio Team as led by Project Managers/Sector Directors within the larger office. The role includes the generation of assigned architectural project scope, by creatively developing and communicating design concepts in collaboration with FORREC’s five Studio disciplines. Working closely with the Senior Designers/Architects and Design Managers, the Intermediate Designer position is an opportunity to learn and grow professionally within FORREC and the entertainment design industry.
As an Intermediate Designer, it is important to maintain and meet project expectations internally (e.g. FORREC Project Management) as well as externally (e.g. Clients and Consultants), while ensuring that the design work within project scope meets creating intent, the required schedule and budget. With design and construction experience, the Intermediate Designer is nimble, adaptive and capable of developing innovative quality projects.
The Intermediate Designer plays a key team role within the culture of Studio-A as it is openly involved in the sharing of knowledge and advancing skills of the team. Responsibilities include overseeing and/or assisting the work of junior staff on specific projects to aide in their professional development. With open access to Senior staff within Studio-A, the Intermediate Designer is also encouraged to ask questions and gain entertainment design training through FORREC’s collaborative process and leadership mentoring.
- Bachelor degree in Architecture or equivalent.
- 5‐8 years of related professional experience in the Architectural profession.
- Works closely with Project Directors/Managers and other internal team members to meet overall project objectives.
- Generates design concepts and drawings through effective graphic and verbal communication techniques.
- Depending upon the size and scope of each project, renders conceptual design ideas and prepares 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings independently as well with senior design directions.
- Manages and coordinates the work of Junior staff on various projects to ensure that all project work is delivered on time and on budget for agreed upon deliverables.
- Creates technical CAD/Revit files to assist junior staff and the project team as needed.
- Prepares, reviews, corrects, and updates documents during schematic design and design development phases.
- Capable of acting as a liason directly with clients and consultants on assigned projects to meet their architectural design needs and document coordination.
- Manages client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination as well as coordination with internal studio departments including landscape architecture, interiors, graphics, project management, and creative for all assigned projects.
- Enthusiastically participates and contributes to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs to further personal professional development and contribute to the development of more junior architecture staff.
- Participates and presents training/professional development opportunities in‐house for architecture staff and others in the form of monthly huddles, software introductions and/or general design discourse discussions.
- Demonstrates familiarity and expertise in design and construction specifically in Hospitality, Retail, Commercial and Mixed‐Use program types.
- Experience in transportation integrated mixed use developments is an asset.
- Firm understanding of space planning principles, particularly in hospitality and retail.
- Sound understanding of and interest in industry precedents and developing trends, etc.
- Demonstrates familiarity with Concept, Schematic Design and Design Development phases of architectural design and practice.
- Proficiency in the architectural design and technical software skills including: ∙ Proficiency in AutoCad
- Proficiency in REVIT
- Proficiency in SketchUp
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Proficiency in file management
- Proficiency in InDesign, PhotoShop, & Illustrator graphic software
- Working knowledge and/or interest in other BIM and 3D modelling software and tools
- Excellent graphic and oral presentation skills.
- Flexibility to focus on a single client with a variety of project types and manage multiple, concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- Demonstrates client and consultant facing ability to communicate design ideas and direction quickly via freehand sketching, written descriptions and/or 3D modelling.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and lead when assigned.
- Demonstrates technical skills including familiarity and experience in preparing technical working drawings (plans, sections, elevations, wall sections & construction details).
- Demonstrates familiarity with construction realities and experience working with a variety of consultants to innovate and develop designs.
- Enthusiasm and interest in learning from and welcoming mentorship from Senior staff.